So the Traveling the World, One Interview at a Time has been a hit. I love how many other bloggers are excited to jump in and share their travel experience with us. This week, we are interviewing Bel from Bel Explores.
- When did you start writing about your travels? Officially in 1999, but had been writing journals of my travels since 2003.
- What made you want to share your travels? Traveling so often, I felt it was my duty, to aid young woman like me who grew up in developing countries ( Dominican Republic) and didn’t have the financial means to experience what my life had been.
- How many states/countries have you traveled to? 48 Continental States including Alaska & Hawaii and 103 foreign countries.
- What is your favorite destination, and why? Without doubt Finland (lived a decade); Norway (7 times due to employment aboard Cruise Lines) & Iceland (7 times due to employment aboard Cruise Lines) I hold very dear to my heart. French Polynesia is hard to say no.
- What is the craziest thing that has happened on one of your trips? Destiny had it that I would loose my locker keys in Oslo rail station and got robbed of all my belongings including passport; flight and $. Had it not been for a lovely Norse Viking, I would have died from stress. Today he is one of Norway’s Millionaires in the Fishing industry and my dream love that somehow slipped away.
- What was the best meal you have eaten on one of your trips? In Norway and Finland, Typical Scandinavian food that today I am fund of lecturing about on my Cruise line assignments.
- What is your advice for someone who wants to travel more? The same I give to ALL my undergraduate Freshman students on their first day of class GEOG 290 The World Of Travel: I have NO respect for people who do NOT travel for lack of $. If you have NO $ you do the same as I did when I was your age! Work; Intern; Apply for foreign language scholarships; volunteer; Au-Pair; Teach ESL; CREW on a ship etc. but go! If I could do it with 0$ so can you!
- What’s next on your travel agenda? God willing Maldives and Sri Lanka.
- Please share a few of your favorite articles.