With the snow and ice starting to build up, it is time to start talking about having an emergency kit in your car. If you live in a high snow area or you plan to take a road trip into a high snow area, or even just areas that are very cold, you should the basics in your car in case there is an emergency. The emergency car kit can also double if you have to leave suddenly like during an emergency. Just like you try to be prepared for the winter at home, it is equally important, if not more so, to be prepared in your car. These are just a few items that should be stored in your trunk, especially in the winter. In Pennsylvania, we get some mild winters and we get some hard winter. Caitlin Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram knows the importance of being prepared.
- a blanket
- an ice scraper
- a flashlight
- jumper cables
- a spare tire with air in it, and the tools to change it with
- Kitty litter, the non-clumping kind, or another abrasive material like sand.
- Snacks that are shelf stable
- Drinking Water
- charged cell phone and charger: This phone doesn’t have to have service. Any working phone can call 911 even without have a monthly service plan of any kind. It is a great way to use an old cell phone if you have one laying around. Even the old flip phones.
- Three reflective warning triangles. Flares can work in a pinch, but since they burn out eventually, the triangles work best.
- Tow strap or tow rope. The strap should be strong enough to tow 6,000 pounds. It can help you get out of a ditch if someone comes to help you. Oftentimes, people are willing to help but don’t have the supplies with them. You can also help someone else in need.
- Basic first aid kit. A simple kit will work or if you want to be more prepared, have a more extensive kit.
- Foam tire sealant: Also called fix a flat. It is usually easy to use and can help you get to a safe spot depending on how bad the flat/hole is
These are just a few things that are useful to have in a emergency kit. Of course, there are plenty of other things that can be helpful.