Athens is a city in Georgia known for it’s antebellum architecture. It also has a lot of Civil War history, lots of historical sites and buildings, and many fun family activities as well. There is no shortage of things to do, but we’ve compiled a list of some things you will find in Athens that you just can’t find anywhere else. I love to play tourist in my own town and I always make a list like this of must see things. The we spend a Saturday or Sunday checking out the places on the list.
Whether you live in Athens, GA or planning a trip, this list will have something for everyone.
- Downtown Athens – Downtown Athens is absolutely beautiful and there are so many great things for you to see and do here. There are beautiful churches and other buildings with amazing architecture.
- Athens Institute for Contemporary Art – Absolutely a must-stop for art lovers.
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia – If you love flowers, plants and nature, you will want to be sure this one is on your list.
- Big Dogs on the River – This is your opportunity to kayak down the Middle Oconee River.
- Birchmore Trail – This mile-long pathway through an urban hardwood forest Is beautiful and features some of the best parts of Athens.
- Georgia Food Tours – You can get two different food tour packages here – a bicycle agricultural tour or a restaurant and brewery tour. You might decide to take both!
With these great ideas of things to do in Athens, you can start planning your trip today. Plan a day trip, or make it a weekend. We also hope you drop by and see Akin while you’re in the area. If you need a new vehicle to get your road trip going, stop by Akins Dodge Jeep Chrysler
Leave a Reply